Thursday, February 14, 2008

Love Trumps the Covenant Zone

Due to Valentine's Day, the usual Thursday night covenant zone meeting will be postponed to Friday. We're meeting an hour earlier, at 6 pm, in front of Blenz Coffee, as usual, in the atrium of the central branch of the Vancouver Public Library. Look for the guys in the blue scarves if you want to discuss the library "freedom to read" scandal and any other concerns regarding the decline and renewal of Western culture. I'm not sure how late we'll stay.

Here's a love poem, kind of, something for all the bloggers out there. Click on the images twice to make them readable. John Gay (1685-1732):



1 comment:

Charles Henry said...

I wanted to prominently express my gratitude to my co-bloggers for agreeing to reschedule this week’s meeting, on my behalf.

Even though my wife had taken the initiative to grant me “wifely dispensation” to do something for Valentine’s Day on the Friday night rather than the actual Thursday this week, I knew my wife well enough to hear the lament-between-the-lines that we couldn’t actually celebrate on the Day itself, because of the regularity of our blog’s Thursday night meetings.

Since so much of Love is about doing something that is meaningful for the other person, not just doing what is meaningful for yourself, I knew I needed to do something special Thursday after all.

Thanks to the understanding of my teammates at Covenant Zone, who graciously agreed to accommodate my needs by moving our meeting time, I got treated to a whole evening’s worth of beaming smiles from my wife that I won’t soon forget, starting from the moment I arrived home so unexpectedly early for a Thursday, and revealed the surprise plans I had made for us that evening.

Thank goodness for events like Valentine’s Day, for giving us males the opportunity to learn what it means to be a gentleman. In exchange for so little effort, really, we gain so much in return.

And Thanks again, guys..! Your gesture was appreciated. See you tonight.