Friday, July 24, 2009

Elusive Peace

Waiting, waiting, waiting, to hear from a dear friend on the other side of the world, who may be dead as I write this. Not for the first time this week I'll be keeping her in my prayers tonight, and I ask our readers to say a small prayer of their own on behalf of a kind soul who seems to be giving up, in despair of ever rising above her tragic circumstances. While you're at it, maybe add a small prayer for me, if it's not too late, to find the words that may yet stay her hand from the final choice I fear she is poised to take for herself.

Still no answer today to my last letter. Of course, there's a million possible reasons why, you tell yourself; maybe that friend she mentioned is helping her. Maybe she's been successfully cheered up, and wants some time to steady herself before writing back. Maybe she'll even send one of her excrutiatingly bad jokes, like in the old days.

Or maybe she's finally given up on her dreams, buried by one burden too many... one too many obstacles to climb.

We're as much cursed as we are blessed with the potential to imagine a tantalizing crossroads between restlessness, pride, patience and forgiveness, that, like walking towards a rainbow, we seem able to approach, yet never reach; we feel the shadow of a promised peace, yet rarely the peace itself.

I guess that's why we so desperately need certain stories, pushing us onward, a whisper carried on the wind, to remember, friend, remember...

Remember to live in hope for a less elusive peace.


6 comments:

truepeers said...

I'll pray for her and for you to wait in the spirit of your post.

Eowyn said...

Charles Henry, I grieve for her, and for you. So many people believe, over time, that darkness is all there is. I know; I've been there.

The only saving grace is our loving God (and for me, a special relationship, beyond description, with Jesus Christ) -- but it is indeed up to your friend to ask Him to step in. He will, and all she has to do is ask, and trust that He will help.

I will pray for her. I will pray for you, too, because there is very little that is more painful than wanting to stop such a thing and not being able to do much more than offer words.

God be with you both.

Charles Henry said...

Thank you, Truepeers and Eowyn, for your kind words of support, they are appreciated very, very much.

zazie said...

Charles Henry
May all our prayers united help her and you ; can you tell her of t
hose strangers who think of her ?

tiberge said...

Charles,

I check back frequently for an update. Maybe no news is good news?

I can imagine your feelings of dejection, dread and impatience.

While this is perhaps a naive question, are you sure you know where she is? Could she have moved - temporarily? Would she have automatically let you know of any change in her address? Please do not feel you have to answer those questions. I'm just speculating to myself.

Let us all hope and pray that everything turns out for the best.

Charles Henry said...

I don't know what to think, Tiberge, unfortunately short of her writing to me I don't have any way to know if she's okay, I don't know any of her newer friends that she's made in her new job. She doesn't seem to have kept in contact with our mutual friends, just me.

I know what city she moved to, but I wouldn't know her street address... I'd just kept in touch through email.

Thank you for your prayers on her behalf.

And you as well, Zazie! Thank you.