Thursday, February 12, 2009

Suffer Children To Come To Me...

Luke 18:16, in modern dress, as President Obama fields the last question at his Fort Myers town hall meeting:



OBAMA: ...Last question. Of course, now it better be a good one. Go ahead.
OSEQUEDA: Oh, this is such a blessing to see you, Mr. President! Thank you for taking time outta your day! (gasping) Ohhhhhhh, gracious god! Thank you so much! Oh! (gasping for air)
OBAMA: All right, what's..? What's the question?
OSEQUEDA: All right, Mr. President -- heh, heh, heh -- my name is Julio Osegueda. I'm currently a student at Edison State College in my second semester, and... Okay, I've been at the same job, which is McDonald's for four and a half years because of the fact that I can't find another job. Now, with the fact that I've been there as long as I've been there, do you have any plan or any idea of making one that has been there for a long time receive any better benefits than what they've already received?
OBAMA: [....T]he fact that you are working as hard as you're working at a job that I know doesn't always pay as well as some other jobs, I think that's a source of pride for you. That shows that -- that you're doing the right thing. Now -- The second thing is -- is that you will actually benefit from the tax breaks that we're talking about so you'll be able to keep a little bit extra money because we're gonna offset your payroll tax. That's going to help.
...
OBAMA: Say you're -- you're going to school. What are you studying?
OSEQUEDA: I'm looking to study and majoring in communications, hopefully being a broadcaster or a disc jockey.
OBAMA: Well, you sound like you've got a (sic) good communications skills.

How did it feel to talk with President Obama?



OSEQUEDA: I was really impressed when he was -- when I was screaming and jumping for joy, for him to pick me, he's like, "Hey, there's one of my loyal fans," and that -- that -- that just... My heart just like went cold, it felt so good, and I just -- you know, I've never felt so good in my life. Last time I felt somewhat this good was when I received a PlayStation 3 for Christmas.

No comments: