Death threat lobbed at Muslim group promoting moderate beliefs
A moderate Muslim group that called for a separation of religion and state in a recent documentary has received a pointed death threat.
The Muslim Canadian Congress received the message Tuesday morning. It was left on the Toronto telephone of secretary general Munir Pervaiz.
"I swear on 99 names of Allah, if you don't cease from your campaign of smearing Islam … I will slaughter you," the unidentified caller said.
Toronto police and its hate-crime unit are investigating.
The message was addressed to congress president Farzana Hassan and founder Tarek Fatah, and mentioned Allah's name three times in a row.
"It is scary," Pervaiz told CBC News on Wednesday."This is the first time that someone is really swearing in the name of God and it appears that person is taking an oath by announcing the name of God three times."
'Proves problem exists'
Pervaiz said the accusation of smearing Islam is a serious one, an offence that some Muslims believe is worthy of punishment.
The death threat comes after the Muslim Canadian Congress took part in a documentary that aired on CBC News on March 6. The piece examined the divides between secular and fundamental beliefs within the Canadian Muslim community.
The congress has been targeted for its moderate beliefs before, but never in such a direct fashion, Pervaiz said. Members have had their homes and cars damaged after sharing their opinions publicly.
"We want as many people to know that such a problem exists in Canada," Pervaiz said. "People thought we were exaggerating, but this now kind of confirms and proves the problem exists."
Neil in Toronto, Canada posts this:
CFS Islamophobia Report: Marxist-Islamist Speech Code Under Guise of Legitimacy
[T]he Canadian Federation of Students has completed its "Task Force on the Needs of Islamic Students", and - surprise! - has concluded that Ontario Universities are hotbeds of "Islamophobia". Its report calls on University administrators to use the Ontario Human Rights Commission to vigorously counter and prosecute violators of "Islamophobia".
It was created by Muslim activists and Marxist agitators with pre-existing agendas, looking to exploit white liberal guilt to further their goals of Islamic supremacy and anticapitalism.
- Sheikh Faisal Abdur-Razak, President of the Islamic Forum of Canada, who proudly boasts on his web site of having studied in Saudi Arabia from 1977-1986 at King Abdel-Aziz University in Jeddah, under scholars such as Sheikh Muhammad Qutb and other Wahabbi and Muslim Brotherhood teachers. Osama Bin Laden attended the same school in the late 1970s, and has identified Qutb as one of his chief influences.
- Grace Edward Galabuzi, a Ryerson professor who regularly presents at Marxist and Socialist conferences;
- Alex Kerner, the notorious Trotskyite socialist agitator who ran the SAC at the University of Toronto in the early part of the decade, and now works for the Ryerson Students Union.
- Ausma Malik, a U of T social justice agitator who will be speaking at the "Marxism: A Festival of Resistance" conference in Toronto this May;
- Diana Ralph, Carlton University professor, and favourite of the paranoid-delusional "9/11 Truth" movement ;
- Mohamed Sheibani, President of the Muslim Students' Association of the U.S. and Canada, a lobby group with documented links to the Saudi Wahabbi movement .
- Wahida Chisti Valiante, National Vice President of Mohamed Elmasry's Canadian Islamic Congress, who has been promoting anti-American, anti-Israel sentiment for years (read her 2004 article here)